Lately, I can’t help but think about the impact I have on the environment, my health and obviously my spending according to what I eat. Everything around us evolved, the communications, our way of transportation, the technology, but we still seem to be stuck in the « meat- veggie- carb » when we think about what’s for dinner! I have been trying a lot to replace meat when cooking good old traditional meals, like your grandma’s recipe and I have been loving it.
I strongly believe that the spices make the meal. It’s not about the meat, but about how well seasoned your dish is. This vegan tourtiere speaks for itself, so much that my father in law –true meat lover- was a 100% sure this was a real meat pie #tourtiere! Here is my recipe of vegan tourtiere, it will fool everyone ;)!
Freezer friendly | Vegan | To go
For the tourtière
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
12 mushrooms, finely chopped
1 potato, peeled and diced
2 cans of lentils (540 ml) rinsed and strained
2 cups of vegetable broth
1/2 tsp. of celery salt
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. of cinnamon
1/ tsp. of thyme
1/8 tsp. of ground clove
1/8 tsp. of ground mustard
1 pinch of ground sage
Salt and pepper to taste
For the final touch
1 tsp. of cornstarch
1 tbsp. of cold water
Salt and pepper
2 vegan pie crust
- Preheat the oven at 375 F.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, brown the onions, the garlic and the mushrooms in the olive oil.
- Add the remaining ingredients “For the tourtière”. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, mixing occasionally.
- Uncover and let simmer for about 15 minutes or until the liquid is evaporated and the potatoes are soft and tender.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with the water and add it to the filling, mixing a couple times.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough and line a 9-inch pie plate.
- evenly spread the pie filling and cover with a pastry crust.
- Seal the edges of the pie and cut an “X” in the center of the pie to allow the steam to come off.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.