I have always loved La Belle Excuse’s products. I have been using the olive oil for a while now. Unfortunately, now that I live in British-Columbia, their products are quite hard to find! So the last time I went to Quebec, I stole, from Léa, one of the products the company had sent us so I could test out this lemon and white balsamic vinegar. I was very curious to find out more about this product as I found it very inspiring. #LemonLover
I loved this lemon and white balsamic vinegar so much that I had to create this recipe of vegan cream-filled lemon cookies. Yep, that’s right; vinegar in cookies! #YepYep
After many recipe tests, I can now present you this perfectly balanced lemon cookie. It’s the perfect mix of crunchy and chewy, plus it’s filled with a lemony cream that tastes like heaven. So here is my recipe of vegan cream-filled lemon cookies. Honestly, what else can you ask for?
Vegan cream-filled lemon cookies
Vegan | To go
For the “egg”
2 tsp. grounded flax seed
3 tsp. of fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. of water
For the cookie
The zest of 1 lemon
1/3 cup of vegan butter ( I used Earth Balance )
1/2 cup of sugar
1 tbsp. of La Belle Excuse’s lemon and white balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. of baking soda
2 tbsp. of soya milk or any other vegan milk
3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
1 pinch of salt
For the creamy filling
The cream of 1 can of coconut milk (400ml)
1/4 cup of sugar
2 tsp. of fresh lemon juice
The zest of ½ lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, stir in all the ingredients “ FOR THE EGG”.
- In another small bowl, stir in the lemon & white balsamic vinegar and the baking soda (careful it will bubble up)!
- In the bowl of an electric mixer at high intensity, cream sugar, butter and lemon zest until light and fluffy.
- At low speed, gradually add the “egg” the vinegar mix and the rest of the ingredients “FOR THE COOKIE”.
- Mix until well combined.
- Cover a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Spoon the mixture into a pastry bag with a plain tip (or in a Ziploc bag with the end cut off) and pipe the cookies about the size of a 2$, spacing them evenly.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes at the center of the oven, or until they are golden brown. Let cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer at high intensity, stir in all the ingredients “FOR THE CREAMY FILLING” and beat until the cream forms stiff peaks.
- Spoon the mixture into a pastry bag with a plain tip.
- At the time of serving, fill the cookie with the cream and cover with another cookie, repeat this step until all the cookies are filled with cream. 😉
Tips and tricks
For a crunchy cookie, fill the cookies before serving.
To separate the cream from the coconut milk, you must place a can of coconut milk in the fridge for 8 hours. Gently take the can out of the fridge and open the lid. You can now discard the coconut water and keep the cream for your recipe!